blogggggginnnn' & bullshit

Friday, March 20, 2009

standing in the way of control


"Anything that draws attention to ourselves through pain-free or artificial means is a manifestation of resistance" -- Steven Pressfield

Twitter. The most vapid, self-absorbed form of social media in existence. As BPB said, it's the endless swirl of the social media toilet. Does anyone really even give a shit about whatever it is you have to say? Yes, everyone has a voice and America the great and beautiful, land of the free encourages everyone to let theirs be heard. But here's the real question: does everyone else need to hear your thoughts? A voice does not necessarily entitle you to an opinion.

Twitter provides everyone who signs up with the opportunity to become the star of their own show. It's a personal news feed -- all you, all the time. Could anything be more self-righteous? (maybe a blog...oh...wait) Constant ego stimulation. Me me me me me me.

The personal spotlight that Twitter affords individuals can be intoxicating at times. "Look at how many followers I have! They all want to know what I'm doing & thinking & saying at all times! Look at all of my @replies!"

No. No one gives a shit. It's a digital facade, technological tricks, smoke & mirrors.

In my personal use, I've come to view Twitter as nothing more than a leech on the leg of creativity, slowly & quietly draining away one's lifeblood. You wade through the murky, knee-deep water of those you follow, sifting for various tidbits that will only hold your interest for a mere moment. You never even feel the leech take grip of you. It feeds off of your one-liners, ideas & thoughts, draining the blood out of them. Before you know it, they are reduced to colorless, lifeless shells of what used to be productivity & inspiration. The "ah-ha!" moment reduced to a pipedream.

For me, the time has come to emerge from the swamp. I am all too conscious of the leech sucking everything out of me. And I intend to throw salt on the bloodthirsty bastard.

For the time being, I'm done with Twitter. More than anything, it has been the writer's equivalent of crack for me: instantly gratifying, incredibly short-lasting (140 characters or less isn't exactly what I'm looking for at this point in my writing) and an altogether terrible habit. Let's just hope that it's not as hard to quit.

So that's that. It's not you, it's me. Hopefully, I'll see you on the productive side of the street.


Edit: I'm back on Twitter. It is harder to quit than crack.

No comments:

Followers